Law student membership in THLA provides a great opportunity to get involved with the organization and to expand a professional network within the San Diego legal community.
Law student membership provides students with the following benefits:
- Ability to participate in the THLA Mentor / Mentee program, through which a THLA attorney is paired up with a law student to help answer questions about law school or the practice of law, academics, networking, and job searches. These mentor-mentee pairings also help develop a greater professional network as attorney-mentors introduce other attorneys to the student-mentee.
- Free access to CLE programs. Even though law students are not required to maintain CLE credits, these programs provide excellent learning and networking opportunities for students. This is especially true when the CLE topic aligns with the practice interests or area of the student and attendees. Law students may also take advantage of discounted rates for other CLE programs when THLA co-sponsors a paid CLE program.
- Discounted membership to the National LGBT Bar Association. Because THLA is an affiliate of the National LGBT Bar Association, our student members get a promotional rate when they join the National LGBT Bar Association. The National LGBT Bar Association is the organization that hosts the annual Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair.
- Social events through the year. Every year, THLA hosts several social events to which law student members are invited. These include the attorney-student mixer held every fall, the annual holiday party, the summer BBQ, and a variety of other social and networking events that THLA co-sponsors with other organizations throughout San Diego. In fact, because of the reduced membership rate that THLA offers to law students, membership dues practically cover food and drink from only one social event — making everything else icing on the cake!
- THLA Scholarship Program. Each year THLA gives out up to three student scholarships for $500 each. In order to apply, students must be members of THLA.
- Networking. Likely the most obvious benefit of all, but undoubtedly the most crucial. THLA offers opportunities for law students to network and explore career paths in a safe and open environment. This not only allows for potential job leads or career / interviewing advice, but it allows law students to find potential connections to better understand the legal market and what employers want in candidates. Plus, it helps develop some pretty good, lasting friendships.
THLA encourages law students to join the organization for great social and networking opportunities.